Sunday 3 April 2016

OUGD602 PPP 03 LUU Job Application

I recently spotted an add online for a graphic design job in the Leeds University Union. It basically is the same role that I am doing now for LCA but at a bigger scale and paid. i called up the marketing team (where the post would be) and asked if there was any chance that, if I was the right candidate, I could start part time now and then segway into full time once I had finished my degree. They d=said, yes. So, it took a while but I put together an application with a few selected pieces that were specific to the role and have sent it off. Just waiting to hear back now. However, if I am unlucky and do not get a job or even an interview I would like to contact then regarding a placement, seeing as it is a department so perfectly matched to my experience and I know that I would love working in this field, as I already do.




Below is the essay I wrote for the application form, I shaped it around the criteria list that they provided for the role:

Thank you for the opportunity to apply for the position above. Although I am a student, just completing the final year of my degree, I think that you will find that I have an unusual range and depth of experience that make me strongly suited to this position.

One of the defining aspects of this role, is the collaboration and an ability to work with people, both in and out of creative fields. This is not only something I am used to, through my work as communications officer for the Leeds College of Art Students’ Union, but also something I actively enjoy and seek out in my work. I have made collaboration a central theme of my third year briefs and gained so much knowledge and experience because of it. I work and develop ideas through conversation, so cooperation with others is something that harmonises perfectly with my practice. 

Working with people who are new to design is just as valuable for me. This is something I undertook when working on the Leeds Arts Party. It was a fantastic mixed team of people to work with. This gave me the ability to communicate effectively with non graphic designers about design issues. This sounds basic, but I think many people can get lost in the world of design jargon and can alienate clients and collaborators 

I am well versed in planning, organisation and juggling several projects at the same time. This experience comes mostly from balancing my communications role alongside my third year studies, and still achieving a solid first (to date). This role has involved organising and planning print and web aspects of campaigns, client liaison, considering budget, logistics and print deadlines for both the elections and freshers campaigns, (detailed in my portfolio PDF). This has given me a good understanding of dealing directly with printers and prepping artwork for professional print. I also think it is worth noting that the course that I am on is extremely demanding. Throughout my time on the course, I have worked on up to five projects simultaneously, whilst also working on personal promotion and academic essays that synthesise with my practical work. 

I have experience of working within a students’ union and designing specifically for a student audience. Although, it may be at a smaller scale, I have worked on exactly the kind of briefs that this role involves. This gives me a solid understanding of your target audience and the mediums that will be used. 

I thoroughly understand your target demographic. As a student myself, I have a high level of insight into what the student experience in Leeds is like. Being in the students’ union has also brought me much closer to the political and social issues that students face. Working closely with the campaigns officers at LCA has really increased my interest and investment in these issues. For example, environmental issues are very important to the majority of our students, so an initiative we have recently been looking to enact is taking any excess print and recycling it, to create green and affordable stock for subsequent campaigns. 

Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign are programs I am fully competent using.I understand colour management across these programs as well as web safe colour gamuts. In addition I am skilled in more traditional design methods such as letterpress and screen printing.

AfterEffects is also a program with which I am well acquainted. Although I have not worked on full length animations, I have worked on animating info graphics and logo motion graphics. This has been self-taught and I am confident that I can learn more for use in this role.

I understand and can create comprehensive brand guidelines. I have created brand guidelines on a number of projects and understand the importance of adhering to them. Nevertheless, I very much appreciate and enjoy the challenge of thinking and working creatively within these confines to bring new life to existing brands and campaigns.

I have experience creating campaigns that have both print and web applications. I have a good understanding of web design, UX design and the functional aspects necessary to a working, informative web presence. An example of this would be the web applications for the Parallel feminist magazine (portfolio PDF): the functions and movements of which align exactly with their brand identity. At LCA SU we use social media extensively for our marketing and promotions. During the elections campaign (portfolio PDF) we used the icons developed for each available role to inform students about what each entailed. Because our students are very visual thinkers we use images throughout our social media presence: creating images that have continuity is always a priority. A cohesive and considered approach to social media is something that I would bring to this role. It is easy with something as ephemeral as the digital to be flippant, but I am well aware that those few seconds of audience engagement can make all the difference.

Finally I want to emphasise that I really love what I do. It always excites and interests me. I am so enthused by working with and for a student audience and genuinely making a difference, helping and supporting that audience is always rewarding for me. I really think that I can add to your team in a positive and exciting way. I know that I will possibly be younger than a number of applicants. However, I know I can do this job, and do it well.


Thank you for your interest. Please let me know if you would like any further information.


--------------------------------------------------------------
Unfortunately I didn't get an interview for this job because they said I didn't have enough experience. However, they did say that they liked my portfolio and wanted me to apply to another up  and coming junior position.

No comments:

Post a Comment