Monday 18 April 2016

OUGD602 PPP 03 Brief 01 Self Branding Creating Stamp for Back of Business Card

When it came to creating the back design for my business cards I based the typographic layout around the structure of the letterpress prints produced earlier in the year.

However, experience with stamps meant that I knew that there was a minimum type and line weight that would transfer well from a stamp. So, there had to be a balance between the size and weight of the type. Source Sans Pro was used to stick to the confines of the brand developed. Capitals were used in order to achieve and information hierarchy that again would register well when stamped. 

landscape format was also considered. Asjking my peers was the best way to gauge which format would be best. I gave a number of people a business card to turn the way that they would naturally. This was illuminating, the number that turned it to a portrait back was the same as those who kept the card landscape. I decided that because the front of the card is landscape the back should be too. However, it would need to be the other way up than the front so that they can be flipped horizontally and  be the right way up. This is something I can experiment once I have the stamp.

I have also spent some time purchasing custom email and URL so that all the info on the back of my business card is accurate and appears professional.

In preparation for the stamp, I bought some stock from Fred Aldous (Colour Plan Mandarin) the closest I could get to the orange of the stamp.

I also cut my logo paper (Bier Gmund Wiezner) down to my slightly shorter than average business cards (40mm x 70mm). By using spray mount ad a big book I stuck together all 4 pieces of paper for each card.

They turned out beautifully and the paper isn't far off the ink at all.

Although there were a few issues with positioning the back stamp correctly on such a small piece of paper the cards turned out really week. The weight of the stock in particular is really effective in communicating tactility and hands on processes.


No comments:

Post a Comment