Sunday 3 April 2016

OUGD602 PPP 03 Split Studio Visit

Today I did a studio visit with split. I simply dropped by to talk with the creative director Olli to get a better understanding of graphic design in a commercial and real world context.
I had a number of questions to ask him specific to the split studio, such as why that have a changing logo as an ongoing project and how they get the clients that they want to work with. However, it turned into more of a conversation and he gave me some great advice concerning my work. He suggested that I look at separating the presentation of my lettering and more general graphic design. He said I should do this by putting together a book of my lettering sketches that can be presented along side my portfolio. This works perfectly with what I am planning for my PPP self promotion piece. 



Overall it was a really enlightening visit and he suggested I get back in touch in a year or so's time to see if I can work with them in some way. However, I did get a bit of a doubtful feeling as to that particular studio environment. I am not sure why but I just feel that I wouldn't want to work there. Perhaps it is because I want to work with a big number of people and a small studio can't provide that straight off the bat.

I think the next step is to look into the larger studios that are in the area and see if I can arrange studio visits.

No comments:

Post a Comment