Saturday 23 April 2016

OUGD602 PPP 03 Brief 02 Visit Phylecia Sutherland

I interviewed Phylecia via email for my Context of Practice research. The results of the interview can be found here.

http://b-taylor1316-dc.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/ougd603-context-of-practice-03.html

However, I also went to visit her again to talk to her about her practice and how things have changed since we last talked.
It was great to see how she worked again and I can really see the attraction of working from home in your own space. Just being the master of what you do creatively is really appealing after being in education for so long.

We talked about some recent work that she has been doing and I had a moment of reflection on whether I could exclusively work in one market the way she does. I can see that  it is really rewarding, and that you have way more of a budget when working in the luxury market of weddings. However, I kind of fundamentally disagree with the idea of a big wedding ad I don't know if I could consistently work in a field I disagree with.

However, I think that what Pylecia designs is great and there is a possibility I could work with her after I finish for the year. I have been thinking about the different available markets for lettering and chalkboards and weddings is definitely an option. I am going to follow up the visit with an email suggesting this once I have set up my online residence, so she can see what I do properly. I may even send something in the post, as I know she likes tactile print, to suggest the idea of possibly suggesting me to clients that want chalkboards. I will also make the offer of helping out. To see if she needs a second pair of hands (pains hopefully) to do all the menial jobs while she gets on with the important stuff. This, much like any future interaction with the print project, would be helped by some workshop style work experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment