Saturday 23 April 2016

OUGD602 PPP 03 Brief 02 Studio Visit, The Print Project

As part of my context of Practice research I organised a visit to Nick at the Print Project. The COP related Interview can be found here.

http://b-taylor1316-dc.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/ougd601-context-of-practice-03_0.html

However, we also talked about a wide range of things to do with professional practice in a discipline as niche as letter press. We found there were a number of similarities between lettering and letterpress in this respect.
We talked at length about how a small business can be feasible and how some of his favourite bits of work are workshops when he gets to travel and work with people completely out of the design world. I talked to him about my recent opportunity to run lettering workshops at deer shed festival and he highly suggested it. Even for self promotional purposes, he said that he makes a lot of contacts in those socially relaxed environments. So, I think I am going to do it.

We also talked about the fact that he is looking to take on someone else part time as the number of jobs increase. I followed this up after the interview with an email to ask if there was any chance that I could apply to be that person. He said that although he had already hired someone for the position, they may not be around for long and since he had met me I would be in with a good chance if the other person left. So, he said he would be in contact if he ever needed any help in that environment.

This really got me thinking about how I would feel working in that messy mechanical environment and I think I would love it. I came away so enthused by everything that Nick said and I could be so happy actively doing work with my hands everyday. I think I should look into work experience that might help me get towards this goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment