Wednesday 2 March 2016

OUGD602 Brief 02 self Branding Digitisation and Development

From the perfected sketch it was easy to scan and then vectorise using the image trace option in path settings. This is not usually what i would do but because the sketch was of  fairly hight quality it produced the perfect vector with a few tweaks to reduce the number of anchor point and leave in a few imperfections to maintain that hand made aesthetic.

I knew that I wanted a texture of some sort rather than flat vector colour. Again to suggest print or the contact of ink on a page. Eventually I am considering  creating a stamp that really, authentically produces this finish. However, I will have to consider very carefully the ink colour matching. For the moment I chose a dark earthy green because again I wanted to communicate a natural hands on approach that seemed human and approachable.




I edited a texture file into the colour I wanted as shown above.



It was a simple matter applying it to my lettering. I chose a very simple sans serif font for the word 'design' . This was because I needed something to contract and therefore enhance the handmade look of the lettering and also there was a minimum width of the type that could take the texture and still be legible. I would have liked to use the light weight version of Source Sans Pro but the texture didn't sit well on it. Perhaps this is something that I will need to address later in the design process and crate something between the regular and light versions of the font for use on a stamp and universal logo. Because again a light weight font will not print well on a stamp because of the texture disrupting the letters.

The texture worked really well on the emblem that I sketched up and it will serve brilliantly as website IDs and image overlays when needed. I can also integrate it as a tag into my chalkboards and lettering pieces. Just like Jessica Hische does with her pieces, so they can always be track back to her.


After stepping away from this project for a while I font that I actually wanted a warmer more personable colour and a slightly sleeker finish so that the logo looked better on digital platforms. To do this I removed the texture, chose the lighter version of Source Sans pro and  selected this warm autumnal orange. During informal crits people overwhelmingly chose the orange over the green as representative of my work. This is interesting because it is very similar to the colour of ink I ended up mixing for my letterpress chalkboard business cards. So, fitting it with what I have already produced would be easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment