Tuesday 16 February 2016

OUGD692 PPP 03 Brief 01 Self Branding Development Sketches

Starting from the issues I found through analysing my self branding from last year. I knew I wanted something that communicates the fact that it was hand made and human in shape and essence. Using small caps made sense to start with because it was the lettering style which got the best feedback during cries on work last year. However, this because highly ornate and this is not necessarily what I want to communicate with my self branding. I want something more simple yet human and approachable. 


I thought that this might be more achievable if I used a handwriting like style with connected cursive lines. This connected/continuos line approach lead to the idea of a dotted finish to the line to suggest ink spots and blots. It also occurred to me that this could be a visual hook to achieve visual continuity by applying the line and dot motif where required.


To establish the line and dot as the visual hook I looked at using it at two points on the lettering. I used graph paper in and effort to regulate the line weight and angle of lean. I also came up with an emblem. Reduction of the full word logo, which is a combination of the large capital 'e' and the lower case 'b' helping to communicate the pun of Elittlebeth. 
Naturally, as with any lettering piece, there have to be several drafts before I have something that is fully legible and well composed. I re drew the type again and found that in isolation from the grid of the graph paper I could see a lot more issues with the designs. All the crosses that can be seen below were issues that I identified at this point.

Finally I had a set of lettering that was completed to a high enough level to digitise. I included a slightl line drop shadow on the right hand side of the type. This was to help increase the sense of playfulness and approachable tone of voice, which I think it is effective in doing.

This is now neat enough to to start to digitise and colour for actual application.

Because the fuel behind me re doing my branding was the fact that Dalton Maag application included a CV and short portfolio, specific to type. So, I looked at how the continuos line weight could be applied for some sub titles in the main body of the portfolio again to maintain continuity.





No comments:

Post a Comment