Thursday 11 February 2016

OUGD602 External Brief DBA Hyperloop Digitising Type

One of the ideas brought to the table by Melissa was the use of some of the diagrams in the technical documents for hyper loop. The one below details the engine and flow of energy in one of the pod propulsion mechanisms.


I looked at creating a pattern from this diagram, using shapes to connote the flow of energy.


However, this looked far too busy so I looked to strip it back to the bare minimum required for effective communication. The idea being that the tech is suspending the pods so it should sit below the logotype. This still seemed to busy and not communicative of impressive technology, it is at once too simple and too complex.


To ensure the best and closest collaboration I set us a collaborative google drive folder so that we can all see what one another are working on at all times.



Simply by accident the diagram happen to create small speed like line from the vectors that really communicated speed. I just looked at how these lines could be worked into the other letters of the type.

I also saw how this could link in with Eva's concept of connected lines and how the 'H' and 'L' could be linked to form an emblem of a kind.



I also found that the combination of the one short and one long line could frame the type just like the tube and the pod. I tried out a few soft natural colours to try and reduce the sharpness of the design but pursued it no further because it doesn't stick to the technical transparency that I was supposed to be trying to communicate.



Because I was asked to I also vectorised the type that I sketches earlier on in the idea generation stage.

Surprisingly this type really lent its self to being digitised and I made it a blue print blue for the design oars because it was a colour that Becca had identified as an option through her work on the same concept.


I tried both rounded and sharp pointed terminals and found that the pointed ones could look very much like arrows and to bring it back to the idea of the tech made simple, I locked at making an image based aspect to the logo communicating the converging air currents used to support the pod.


I mocked p a couple of different options for this but couldn't find any that really worked.




After showing the team the type vectorised it was suggested that the 'P' should be more rounded to mimic the shape of the 'o's. Once I had done this I agreed that this was the best finish that worked in conjunction with the other letters more effectively.

I looked at reducing the emblem/icon shape down to the minimum compartments and found that they could form two small triangles that still suggest the converging air currents.

After showing the team the different options they agreed that the one above was their favourite because of the way the icon plays a more connected role with the type rather than feeling like a separate add on. So, this is the type that is going on the board for presentation, along with the other more refined ideas.



No comments:

Post a Comment