Saturday 20 February 2016

OUGD602 PPP Work Experience Planning

Over the last 4 or so months I have made many contacts concerning work experience and also just about chatting to people to get advice about getting work and work experience. This post will detail all the places I have contacted successful or not, so that the full extent of my effort on the matter can be recorded and understood.

Dalton Maag:

Over the summer I applied to Dalton Maag Type foundry, to be considered for their intern programme. To do this I had to create a type specific portfolio of approximately 6 pieces including development work, I put this together along with new self branding which is also detailed on this blog.


application from Crystalbeth


Although this application was unsuccessful it did give me a chance to re work my self branding in advance of  my third year as well as do some self initiated projects involving lettering, which were rewarding on their own. I also allowed me a chance to refine my CV which is now once again due for an update and although I didn't get the placement I am first on the waiting list if anyone drops out!

True North:

Although when I made contact with True North (August) they were already fully booked in work placement terms for the whole academic year, Kevin Lee Said that he could get me in for a day to look around the studio and talk through some other places they know that might be able to take someone on.

The Print Project:
After talking with Nick for some time earlier in the year for the research of my Context of Practice essay I thought it worth a shot to get back in contact to say thanks for his help and also ask if there was any chance that he might take anyone on for a work experience placement. I was hopeful because he mentioned the need for someone else to help around the place and I would love to work at the Print Project. In response Nick was really positive. although he has already taken on someone else to help him out he said that there is no guarantee that that they will be staying around for a long time, so if and when he needs someone he will be in touch. He also suggested I have a look online for similar letterpress printers and let him know which ones I might be interested in contacting and if he knows them he will put in a good word. Overall a pretty hopeful outcome. 


Split:
I recently sent over a short email to Oli at split. This is a design studio that I really just like the look of. They seem friendly and open and might be an option for a work experience placement or if that fails a great, illuminating conversation over a cup of tea! Oli has been lovely and we have set on a date for a meet up and just have a chat.


Gorilla:
This is a Manchester based studio that I have been following on Instagram for some time. I sent them an email just asking how I might go about applying for work experience with them if they are open to it but am yet to receive a reply.

This is a lettering and print studio based in Bradford. They are a small subsidiary of the Hallmark group. I have been looking into setting up a stationery and print business of my own based around lettering so this would be very relivant work experience for me. I have been re working my CV and digital portfolio to apply for there work experience program but have sent off an email first, just asking if the portfolio should include the development process of each project or simply the final pieces. If I don't receive a reply in the next couple of days I will call up and ask and then apply as soon as possible.

Side by side:

I stumbled across side by side on Instagram and really liked their work and realised that they were based near by in Sheffield. So, I took the plunge and gave them a call. They had already advertised the fact that they were looking for a new full time member of staff and so I simply said that I might be able to lend a hand in the mean time while they are short staffed. They seemed positive and asked for me to send some stuff over. I have sent them my CV and Behance for them to look over and am waiting to hear back.

No comments:

Post a Comment