Saturday 20 February 2016

OUGD602 External Brief DBA Hyperloop Post Crit Decisions

After the Crit with the DBA representatives we took the original type sketch I created and annotated it, looking at ideas we could generate for ways to make the logo type more open and approachable. As you can see most of these were based around forming rounded terminals and quirky little affectations.


We each took the vectorised file (through google drive) and these are the small developments that I made to the file based on the annotations we made together.


I looked at flattening off the terminals and adding a looped descender to the 'y' which really helped in my opinion because it alludes to a smile in a very subtle but playful way. However, I found that through including this curved edge the subsequent 'p' looked far too light especially in the bowl. This will be be developed further if the other members of the team feel that the looped 'y' is worth pursuing. 



I looked at separating out the two syllables of the word. This was inspired by the way the DBA representatives talked about the name its self and the way that the 'hyper' part communicated technicality and enhanced performance, while the 'loop' part has more playful connotations that help to make the word its self a meeting of technology and people.

Something that we talked about at length as a group was the idea of raising aspects of the word to communicate the floating nature of the lift mechanism and to add a sense of playfulness to something quite technologically advanced. However, I think this could be seen as overkill slightly and perhaps we need to look more to the forms of glyphs for the majority of our communication.


I also tried very rounded terminals as an escalation of the slightly round corners shown earlier. I only did this on a couple of glyphs because as i did it i once again felt that this was too much. Although I will show this to the rest of the team, at the moment I feel tit is unnecessary to pursue it further.


The next step is to bring together everyone's ideas for developing this type and decide on a direction together.

No comments:

Post a Comment