Sunday 12 April 2015

OUGD502 PPP 2 Brief 01 My Brand Business card and Creative CV

From the decisions made sketching out the CV I knew I wanted square business cards. This is because not only will it fit visually with the square books but it will also fit in with the whole Elittlebeth concept because I can make the business cards smaller than the usual, helping them to stand out in a stack.
I tried a few different layouts, but in the end it came down to centrally aligned and left justified. I thought the pebble at the bottom was a nice addition as a visual link to the website buttons and all other outcomes because I want to try and do the same thing on some of the pages of my CV and my presentation. I feel like it add the tactility I am looking to communicate and stops the page from being too corporate because the sharp serifs of Baskerville can sometimes do that.

Left justified just felt wrong and I ended up going with the central text. This decision falls in line with the text on the website as well and is something I will stick to when designing the CV and portfolio.
The front of the business cards needed to link to the landing image of the website. This is because it is likely that they will visit the website after they get a business card and communicating that they are in the right place needs to be fast. So, I used the image from the website and my logo, but also scaled down the image slightly and moved it so that the text sat in a more legible manner over a more regulated texture but the location of the image is still clear. I also wanted the image behind the text to be slightly different to that on the website, this maintaining of the scale of the image manages that whilst still keeping colours and tone of voice the same.

I then started to look at the cover text for the little book. I used the Baskerville bold font that I altered for the logo text. I wanted a layout that was quirky but also completely legible.

I soon realised that in order to tell if these layouts would work I would need the images the gauge the texture levels fighting with the text.


After a bit of moving around I found a layout that interacted with the background enough to be completely legible and be playful enough to communicate a little bit of me as well.

Throughout the interior of the book I stuck as much as possible to the centrally aligned text and use of the pebbles as a footer.


The pagination os that of a saddle stitch book, I will be binding it with white or grey thread to minimize the use of harsh colours.





I have a few concerns about how these will print because the shadows on the pebbles are particularly soft and I am unsure if that will transfer well.

No comments:

Post a Comment