Friday 6 February 2015

OUGD502 PPP Self Banding Development

After the crit for the self branding, I did have a direction to go in. However, this direction didn't enthuse me and felt wrong. So, I went back to pinterest to see if anything inspired me and if I was approaching this whole brief in the right way. I knew that I wanted to achieve something solid but also quirky and open with a strong silhouette for scaling down. I found this incredible piece of work and I realised what I possibly needed was the right font in the background to add the augmentation that I invisioned. For this font I went back to the idea of being traditional and neat which lead me to one of my old favourites (baskervile), this felt too delicate and almost weak on the page which was not the connotations I wanted to foster. So, I simply tried the bold version of the font and printed out a lot of different versions of the Elittlebeth Design. The idea of adding the word design came from roz, who noted the way the design below had interaction between the words which made it great.



I went through a couple of options in which I increased the scale of the first letters and first increased and then stripped back the augmented strokes to stop them from dominating the design too much and effecting the legibility of the design.

The stroke weight of the the original font makes the augmentation feel more definite and confident which is exactly what I wanted to achieve. This design will work much better when transferred into vector format for the laser cutter (to be etched on stones) which is crucial for clarity and legibility of the finished product.

No comments:

Post a Comment