Friday 27 February 2015

OUGD502 PPP Self Branding Stone Etching

I spent a very long time in the laser cutting room  testing different intensities and velocities for the laser and had some moderate success. I tried first with some slate like stone (obviously the settings needed to be changed for each type of stone) and the letters came out all bubbled and unclear.


Then because the next stone was more like granite, the intensity was increased and I had a little success. I love the pale colour of the letters caused by the dust from the etching and it is surprisingly legible at this small size.


I attempted etching the website url onto the back of the stone to make it a proper business card but the software seemed to just give up at this point and would not allow me to do so without removing the apertures of the letters. I talked to the technician about this and   he said to go to one of the it guys with the problem. So, this was all I was able to achieve in the hour slot. However, I can now return and try again with the settings I saved and hopefully get these to work as a kind of business card. I could also use this etching and photograph it for my business cards, on a beach somewhere would be ideal.

No comments:

Post a Comment