Wednesday 18 May 2016

OUGD602 PPP 03 Brief 02 Design Strategy Evaluation

Throughout the year my external engagement has been a fairly consistent theme of my practice. My first contacts being ones initiated for my contact of practice module, soon blossomed into incredibly inspiring people to know. Especially talking to practitioners such as Phylecia Sutherland got me thinking about how I work and how I want to work in the future. This was reinforced by my viewing of 'Made You Look' a documentary style film about in depended Graphic Artists and how they work. I saw a hard working but fulfilling life style which really attracts me. However, my exterior engagement ale illuminated the reality of working in the creative industries. I have made a number of applications to jobs that interested me and I am currently doing a trial brief for a junior designer position in a Leeds based studio. Through the interview, and my work experience assisting at the Vernon Street evening classes I have found that, yes I do love working practically and I find that very rewarding. However, it is the mix of people I get to work with, talk to and learn from which is really what drives me in Graphic Design. 
Through Job applications and the college organised portfolio tutorials I have really stated to understand the art of presenting my work, of telling a story but in a concise and confident way. This has allowed me to feel fully competent in my Job applications.
It would have been nice to get some work experience in studio so that I could figure out that environment in greater detail. However, this was not for lack of trying and I do feel that the evening class assisting was exactly the right experience for me to do at the time because it is and was a type of job worth considering.
Overall, I feel that my external engagement has not only helped me gain confidence in my design ability in a real world context but also has informed my extended practice briefs, in the way that I approach them.

No comments:

Post a Comment