Wednesday 21 October 2015

OUGD602 PPP 03 Brief 01 Self Branding Workshop Notes: DIY Identity

This workshop was mainly structured around discussion. We were asked to think about what we would want our self branding to do and why.
Two words that stood out for me were 'explain' and 'Interact'. This is because the major thing that I want to achieve with my self branding is to explain my process, style and approach to design work. The main aspects of this being the way I am a very social worker (I like to work alongside if not with others and do my best work when I work like this) hens the word 'interact'.

However, an idea that soon appeared in a lot of peoples branding was how the audience of your self branding can fluctuate depending on the work you do. Sometimes it might be other designers and other times it might be clients that want freelance design work done.

For me this manifests its self in my chalk boarding. The things that I want to present to independent cafes tat might want a chalkboard done is completely different to that which I would want to present to possible employers. For example, to cafes I would want to communicate that chalkboard design and creation is my main priority and skill. However, to a studio I would need to communicate both my individuality as a designer and my flexibility of skill.

These intended messages dictate directly the format the self promotion is in. We talked about interactive deign and how this could be a good way to achieve a long lasting effect on whoever receives you branded mercy or promotional material.

After this workshop I have definitely decided to use the idea I developed in the DR. Me workshop in my PPP self branding because it manages to address all these issues whilst still expressing me as a person and designer. I could however, develop this idea into a chalkboard oriented design set that could be used for my chalkboard freelance design promotion.

No comments:

Post a Comment