Monday 12 January 2015

OUGD504 and OUGD502 Dalton Maag Visit

We had a great workshop with a designer from the type foundry Dalton Maag. I had always thought that digital type and the less hand drawn type was less about instinct and more about measurements. In fact it was about instincts and what looked right. I found it fascinating looking at the over hang of parts of the letters and why some looked right in ratio to others.

This workshop got me thinking about type foundries as a possible job option. I know there would be a lot of work involved and I am far off the skill levee required but this is something that I am really interested in and want to continue working on. It is not the be all and end all of what I want to do but it is an option.

I also found a great video on their blog about the transition from letterpress to digital typography and typography in general.




Dalton Maag x Method present Typography in the Digital Landscape. LDF2014 from Dalton Maag on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment