Saturday 29 November 2014

OUGD502 PPP Self Branding Development Sketches

I started by printing out a didot version of the name of my brand. I like that this has an edgy classic look to it but I don't feel it is soft enough or organic enough to represent me.
I used the light box to try and add in some flourishes that were drawn from the idea of ink droplets extending from the letters or languid brush strokes, trying to add in my hands on practical approach to design.

I found problems with the kerning came out a lot when I did this, effecting the way the word was read.

I talked to people in the studio about this and they suggested a more A symmetric approach and not feeling obliged to balance out the ornamentation.

So, I tried illuminating just the letter E but this effected the legibility too much and detracted from the word.

I kept trying but I just felt this approach wasn't working. So, I tried drawing over the entire word and reshaping the letters themselves rather than just adding embellishments.

I tried adding textures of pen colouring to unfished letters to suggest the method with which they were created (hand drawn).

I tried using a paint brush and drawing inks to do the same but to no avail. It just looked rough and unfinished not hands on and cared for.

I tried taking the varying stroke wieght of the font I had chosen to start with and creat an almost illuminated letter for the start of the word but I just hated it, it just felt awakward and un expressive.

I went back to my pinterest board for this project and started to rethink the placement of the letter. Why should they al be in a straight line? I went back to small thumbnails and looked at changing the size of the letters to express the idea of someone small doing something big.

I played wround with stacking and moving the words to create a hierarchy of information and considered a water mark for a while with a large and small L sitting inside one another but the only one that remotely caught my eye was the one of the far left.

I looked at drawing it larger, trying out some brush pen calligraphy but again I am unconvinced.

I was loosing momentum at this point but tried out the water mark idea again with a large L and  little b, drawing on the brush pen calligraphy. I think that I need to go back to the beginning again and render the entire thing by hand. This is the only way that tends to work for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment