Friday 18 October 2013

Reflective Thoughts on Final Crit for Studio Brief 01

Today we had our first final crit. I was very unsure about what I had produced and in all honesty I feel that this was because I had gone so far out of my comfort zone stylistically. Usually I stick to quite natural and earthy shapes but this time I was trying to capture a sharp and almost mechanised look in an effort to "damage" the eye of the reader with the high contrast in line weight in the letter forms. I think my uncertainty definitely came across and affected the way the others in my crit group reacted to my designs. In future I will attempt to portray more confidence in my own abilities, even when the confidence is not in face there. 

In the past I have struggled very much with summative criticism because I get so involved in each project that it begins to feel like personal insults. However, I am trying to balance this involvement with being able to step back and be objective about my own work. This is difficult but I am already starting to feel the effects in that I become slightly less stressed and paranoid by a brief even when I am trying my absolute best with it. This balance of working hard, being able to step back from my work and understanding how I can improve as a designer is hard and requires on going effort but I feel that I am starting to improve already. 

I know it sounds ridiculous but not being good at something that you think is your vocation is hard, and experience and perspective are things I feel I would have gained form doing a foundation. So I will make a concerted effort to be aware that if I were good already I would not need to be on the course and that improvement is what I should be measuring my success by.

No comments:

Post a Comment