Monday 28 September 2015

OUGD602 PPP Refresher Brief: Deciding upon a Medium

Now I know that I want to find a way of presenting one of my favourite poems I need to think about how I shal do so.

Looking back to the mind ma that I produced in the last post some words stood out and have helped to define a direction in terms of medium. 'Old fashioned', 'content' and 'nature' in particular suggest a medium that has a sense of tradition to it as well as something more natural than digital print.

In my personal practice I have had an interesting chalkboard design and hand rendered type for some while. So, these are creative skills I can easily tap into. 

For reference while designing  I also have an extensive collection of chalkboard designs in the form of a Pinterest board that will be easy to call on for inspiration.


I want to draw on the established aesthetic of chalkboards, because I want to communicate the idea of tradition. This is intended to reflect the way I am a bit of a old dogie really despite being  20. 

When it comes to the typographic design decisions I find it helpful to have two key words to come back to when in doubt, to ensure I an communicating what I should be. This time these words are imperfect and natural. 

From these words I have decided to approach the type with a focus on calligraphic and cursive firms to keep the message strong. However I might add some soft serif type at points to underline the theme of tradition and age. I am going to be working straight onto the board. This is for two reasons: I want to embrace the mistakes that I make and it is in my experience the best way to get a natural finish.

For practicality's sake I am going to render the second stanza only, I have chosen this because it expresses the ideas I am trying to convey most effectively and concisely.



No comments:

Post a Comment